15 December 2010

If you want purposeful musings, go to that website...

...but if you're looking for some hate-filled vitriol, then this is the place to be. I spent the greater part of the last few months trying to figure out exactly what the function of this blog was supposed to be. for some reason, I assumed that my blog, in direct and usually hostile competition with the rest of who I am and how I do things, had to have a specific purpose, a goal, if you will, of some things I needed to say. And when I put the shackles on myself like that, I felt constrained, like Michael Jordan in Dean Smith's offense at North Carolina or like Plaxico Burris in general.



But, after quite some time contemplating what the function of this was supposed to be (and when I say contemplate, what I really mean was sit around in my underwear, drink scotch out of the bottle and masturbate with the vigor of an old roommate), I decided that it should HAVE NO FUNCTION. it's purpose is to be whatever i need it to be in a given day. Some days, it will be a hate-filled spouting about something going on in the world that pisses/pissed me off, some days it's be wonderful insight on music or theater, some days it'll be a description of the day-to-day grind that is my life, and sometimes, I'll just post a bunch of jokes and stupid puns or video's or shit I just find totally entertaining....



I'm sorry, but this just kills me every time I see it. You think it would get old, but, no, this shit is still hilarious...but I digress...but as some of you know, i have been known to do that sometimes...

...it's near then end of the semester, and Daddy couldn't be happier. It's been a hectic semester on a variety of fronts, with highlighted successes being intermingled with epic failures...like Nestle (yeah, they make Crunch Bars) buying the weight loss company Jenny Craig. I'm not smart enough to make that one up as a joke...

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/business/chocolate-maker-buys-weight-loss-firm/story-e6frez7r-1225971043751

...but as I was saying, it was an up and down semester, but one thing that's been keeping me going has been my love for basketball, and getting back into playing fantasy hoops. I know it's not actually like being a general manager, much less like actually playing the game, but it does allow me to have something to engage that's not just my job (which is pretty much work and debate, all the time). It forces me to engage in something else, and I find, as I usually do when I actually do things, that it's not just fun for me, it's a tad theraputic (sp?). It allows my brain to just go to another place, where I don't have to worry about whether these essays will grade themselves, or whether or not I've gotten enough hotel rooms for the weekend, or whether those letters of rec are going to get finished on time, or even will I have time to wash these dishes before I leave for the weekend. Seems to serve a similar function to running or playing actual hoop, but it's most to me like playing video games...something you can envelop yourself in it's sensory overload cocoon and just forget the world exists for awhile (while the girl was out of town, I played Black Ops for like 11.5 hours, literally until the screen went blurry...
...will I write every day. Hell no, not even if I was paid to do so (actually, I'm clearly fronting, if I was paid to do so, I'd get it done, but not in that Cal Ripkin, come to work everyday with my best, I'd smooth dial it in on a couple of occasions- one of the reasons I like teaching is because you can't really dial it in, as your class will lose it's mind, because you have ceded control to them by not caring- that's when teaching feels a lot like that scene from Pulp Fiction where Ving Rhames takes it in the poop shooter. about the 1:30 mark...



...there will be more, just not now...

No comments:

Post a Comment