25 March 2009

Looking forward to the weekend

I've been working so hard recently, i'd forgotten my name wasn't Toby. Putting in slave hours for the cause isn't that big a deal to me, if you know me. if you don't, then you'd assume the things i do are borderline insanity. I teach everyday, work with my team after school, and then go home and grade papers and get ready for the next day. on the weekends, i usually take between 6-50 high school students to competitive tourmanents all around the state and country. It means I haven't had a free weekend in over 3 months. I'm going to Las Vegas. I've heard there's gambilig there, and I have been known to play a card, roll some dice, bet arbitrarily on sports teams, etc...

I'm also going to get a chance to catch up with some old friends, all from college debate. it's ironic, the National Debate Tournament is going on while i will be in Vegas, and ususally the NDT is an opportunity to catch up with old friends, and fondly remember times when all involved had lesser resposnibilities and were much more likely to just sponaneously have a good time. It's a free weekend and going to a debate tournament during my free weekend would be like the episode of Seinfeld where Jerry REALLY wanted his girlfriend the massage therapist (the licenced type, not the happy ending type) to give him a massage, but she hated doing that, beacuse it meant she had to think about work during your free time. A very smart man told me once (should be smart, I was paying him) if you want to make sure you hate doing something, take something you love and do it with something you hate. Hence, no NDT for me...i'll just hang out in Las Vegas with old friends, play poker, maybe have an adult beverage...

I'm going to get to see my boys Zach and Jay while I'm in Vegas. I have not seen either of these guys in many moons, and I anticipate there will be a wonderous time had by all. Both guys have had prominent roles in my life, either by bringing forth the easiest decision I've ever made (should I leave Ogden, UT to move to Eugene, OR? Really? That was a question?) and another being a dude whose model for a small debate program is one I still utilize and have just had it grow with our team. It's good to get to see people that have mattered, even if it's only to remind them that they did matter, and that it always means something. I hear a rumor of the Jared's, and if Ellis is there, I definitely owe him a beer from taking his "pot" from him at a debate camp when he was a high school student (we "flushed" it). Always makes for an ackward situation after a few road sodas...

I'm also trying to rock the internet radio. i like my music taste, and am just arrogant enough to think other fools would like to listen to my beats as well, as eclectic as they happen to be (johnny cash and eminem and gladys knight and grant green...happens).

Internet- http://68.122.74.198:8000/listen.m3u
URL- http://10.0.1.195:8000/listen.m3u

Look for programming schedule to follow. If you have any requests for a show and for it's contents, please feel free to contact. It's not that different than the beginning of XM when you could call in and actually hear your song within the hour...

DD

1 comment:

  1. Good luck at the poker tables! Totally understand about the not wanting to go to a tournament on your free weekend (NPDA is also this weekend)!!!

    ReplyDelete